Saturday, July 14, 2012

Hooked On Phonics


I definitely think that phonics is a major aspect to a child's reading development. I know that I learned to read through phonics and I thought that it was extremely helpful. In Chapter 5 of of A Classroom that Works Cunningham and Allington explain that for every one word someone can decipher, one can decode up to seven more that he or she has never seen. This proves even more that phonics is very important. I really love phonics and I think that it is a great way to learn to read.


I plan on using this tactic with my students in my future classroom. I think it is really neat and I definitely think it will help children understand reading more.


In the article "What Can I Say Besides "sound it out?" there are many great examples of different types of ways to help your students with phonics. I think sounding out words is very essential to reading from very young to even in college. I know from experience if there are words that I do not recognize now that I see in textbooks or even articles, I still sound them out. Every child learns at a different pace, and some are always going to be better than others. My favorite was that Kathleen Clark made sure to explain a way to incorporate all of the readers to help the readers that are having more of a difficult time. I think that when students are guided by their teacher really helps the students to enhance their reading confidence. 



2 comments:

  1. I really like the activity in the picture you posted. I have seen this activity on Pinterest and I think it would be great to use in the classroom and cheap too! I think it is a good way to make phonics a little more fun for your students. Not only does it help them learn to read, but it also familiarizes them with rhyming words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the activity that you posted. I have used a version of this activity before and the children loved it! For them, it was more than reading a new word, or testing out a new beginning sound. They had the power to choose the new word, they had control over what they wanted to read next. It was a great tool for teaching not only rhyming words but vocabulary as well.

    ReplyDelete