Friday, July 20, 2012

Fluency



I really liked reading Chapter 4 of "Classrooms that Work." The main idea that I caught from the chapter was the word walls, just as we discussed in class on Thursday. I really enjoyed seeing the different ways to develop a word wall. I love the thought of letting the children develop to word wall instead of the wall being finished before the children arrive at school. They need to learn and recognize the words for each week the they will learn. I think this will help the students be more energetic about learning those words.

I also really liked that Chapter 4 talked about fluency. Everyone is very different in the ways they can read and how fast or how slow they can read. Fluency is very important to every reader, and he or she establishes it overtime. A reader becomes more fluent, the more he or she reads. How could someone learn how to read faster and comprehend what is going on in the text without learning to be fluent? I think it is very important that teachers learn different ways to build fluency. The article "Creating fluent readers" gave suggestions of how to have your student build their fluency. I love learning new teaching tactics through these articles and I cannot wait to help build each of my future students to be successful readers. 

3 comments:

  1. I appreciated the suggestions of activities to help kids become fluent as well. Most of them seem like things kids would actually enjoy doing instead of a chore. I also liked the idea of involving the kids in making the word wall. They are much more likely to use it if they have some ownership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the idea of letting the students help build the word wall. I've never heard of doing this before, but I think it is a great way to help students learn the words and be more excited about their word wall because they helped to create it. I think it will also encourage them to use the word wall as a reference more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how the book talked about the difference between having a word wall and doing a word wall. It's so true that many teachers stick a bunch of words on the wall and say there it is, use it if you want it. However, the ideas given in ch. 4 about how to actually make the word wall useful and get the students learning the words on it were awesome ideas.

    ReplyDelete